Monday 24 February 2020

[Translation] Marie Claire – 2020 March Ft. Kim Myung Soo



Marie Claire – 2020 March Ft. Kim Myung Soo

Q: Many people say that among the characters in the TV drama “Welcome”, you have the highest similarity to the characters you are acting.

People around me and the fans say the same thing too. Actually, to be honest, I think that this character has the least similarity to me in the roles I have played so far. This role portrayed a cat becomes a human. First of all, because I am not a cat (laugh), secondly, there are no similar points. Personalities are also far apar. However, because if the differences hence I got even more curious. During the filming, I became more aware of the role and felt the connection/chemistry reaction to the character (hongjo).


Q: How did you feel when you first came across the script?

I like the script very much, as the lines are filled with warmness. The atmosphere of this drama is also very heart warming.  When I came into contact with my character (hongjo), I found it very interesting, having to change from a cat to a human. Although it is difficult to interpret the relationship between cats and humans. But the script is interestingly new/unusual.


Q: In the drama, are there any lines that can make people feel the warm atmosphere at once?

When showing the cat’s perspective in the drama, narration is often being used. There is a line that goes like this, “if it is a human, it is possible to hug for a while”.


Q: In order to better understand and express the cat’s mentality, did you do any studies?

I also have a cat named byul, follow my surname, full name is kim byul. Initially, I planned to observe byul, however it didn’t help much. It is because byul is the type who is more attached to human, “dog-type cat”.  I just observe byul yawns, how he stretches, and play around. In fact, it is impossible to fully understand the cat’s personalities. Therefore, it is better to better understand the character (hongjo), than trying to figure out the personalities of the cats. It’s about cats becoming humans after all, so at first, there are many times I couldn’t understand the words coming from a human and the hidden meaning behind those words. For example, “look at the watch (time)” expressed a kind of dissatisfaction with people who are late, but to hongjo it simply understood is as looking at the watch. Therefore, I concentrate on how to express the innocence in a child.


Q: You acted as an angel in your previous drama, which of the 2 characters, between cat and angel, is more difficult for you?

The role I’m currently acting is always the hardest. This is a fact that will never change. Acted as angel, emperor, pariah, and also as lawyer, those are already in the past, it is a life that has already pasted. Right now, the role that is currently being acted out, I don’t know what will happen in the future, so it is difficult.


Q: Last year, at the year-end award show, you won <Angel’s Last Mission: Love> best new actor award. The first award you get as an actor should mean a lot to you. How do you feel on that day?

I’m a little overwhelmed. In fact, it was all written on my face.


Q: In your award speech, you mentioned that you will continue to show a better side of yourself. What do you think as an actor, by showing a better side means (or can be shown)?

Being consistent. Doing it step by step, it is linked to sincerity. So, I hope everyone can feel that I “have improved from before”, and that’s good enough. Because of this, I have been consistently working hard to live on.


Q: Your hard work didn’t fail you and achieved good results, what are your thoughts?

I think it is a process to getting good results. However, I have an objective view of what I’m doing, and even evaluate myself for not doing well enough. Because if you feel that you’re doing well, you will eventually become slack. I am the type that I will push myself. Of course, you need to adjust to your own rhythm calmly and stay nervous at all times. Staying enthusiastic and always working hard is my foundation.


Q: Your body and mind should be very busy.

Yes, very. My mind has longed for higher achievements/goals. However, it is also contradicting. So, I will try to filled up my schedules. At the start of every year, I will make a full year plan to kick start the year.


Q: This year you have also planned everything up till December?

Of course. Although it is possible to get out of track, however adjustment will be made accordingly to avoid such things from happening. Just like the computer software, it has to be upgraded all the time. Occasionally, an unexpected event will be shaken. At time like this, I will take a break. Do you think I have been living such a tiring life? (laugh)


Q: Looking at the list of work you have acted, from the first role till now. If you will to interpret it as a human process, you can feel that the age is getting older and older. Is this also a part of what you planned as an actor?

Although it can’t be said that it was intentional, but it was done carefully. I think it is the best to play a role that is at my age. In this way, we can better accept the role and express it. However, that doesn’t mean by acting well in a role mean I have to act a role of my age. Sometimes, I want it to be challenging. But of course, it is something within my range,


Q: How much recognition do you have as an actor?

I believe in myself when I’m filming. Although there are times when I don’t believe in myself and feeling unsatisfied, but I choose to believe in my decision and efforts. But the end, I will be hit by the reality. When I got home, thoughts like “what should I do?” will come to me and I will feel the pain. It’s always repeated like this.


Q: 11 years since debut, do you think you have changed a lot?

There were a lot of changes. Appearance has changed a lot, and the perspective I look at things have also changed. As time goes by, I feel like I’m finding myself. When I was young, it was more of an environment created by others, and I had to fit myself into the environment they created for me. Right now, there are more things I need to do by myself. I think this is the biggest changes.


Q: During this period, did you find the other side of yourself?
I’m a person who works hard to live. No matter what there are times I make mistake, and don’t feel a sense of accomplishment. Even if I won an award, I will return to everyday after a day. No matter how loud the cheers I get at the concerts, when I get home, it is still me. It is the most important to maintain your own essence at all times. My essence is “a person who works hard”

KR CHI ©L_In_Passion
CHI
ENG ©staywithyouL, sorry not 100% accurate, sorry in advance


No comments:

Post a Comment